Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

That 70's Show Gave Me a Thick Skin


"Stop being so sensitive." was something I heard every day as a child. I somehow found a way to take anything and everything personally, and I would dwell on it and let it ruin my day. (I once cried because my second grade teacher thought my nail polish was purple and not blue. Yeah.)
My group of friends now is in a constant state of laughing at each other, and little girl Rachel would be crying everyday if she were here, luckily she isn't. 
That 70's Show taught me how to laugh at myself. If Eric Forman couldn't laugh at himself and let things roll off his back, frankly I don't know what he would have done. The group on that show knew how to laugh at each other, and how to laugh at themselves. There may be some cases where things said seem a little harsh, but the next day (or even the next hour) everyone was back in that basement loving each other.
I watched this show with my family, and eventually we got the seasons on DVD. It is a staple in our household, and shouting BURN across the living room became a thing.
I think being able to laugh at yourself is one of the most important attributes to have as a person. The fact of the matter is, you are going to screw up. You are going to say something dumb, you are going to trip and fall, you are going to make a fool of yourself. Laughing at yourself and moving on makes for good stories, and good friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment