Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Stepping Out Your Door


Today, September 23rd, is the day after Frodo and Bilbo's birthday, and also marks the day that Frodo began his journey to destroy the One Ring. This also marks the day each year that I begin that journey again myself, and read The Lord of the Rings trilogy. 
My dad read The Hobbit to me multiple times when I was young, I think the first time when I was around 7 years old, and then about 2-3 more times throughout the years. I first read the LOTR trilogy when I was 11. I did not read it every year at first, but somewhere along the line it became a sort of way to mark when my favorite time of year began, then it steadily became a yearly thing. This will be... I think my 8th consecutive year starting the trilogy on September 23rd. 


I started collecting editions of the books shortly after I started making it a yearly read, above (and on the left of the first picture) is my favorite edition. It is a giant tome, which includes all three books of the trilogy! It has fold-out maps on each end, golden edges, and runes written in red. I've read through this one a couple times, so this year I am going to change things up!


This year I will be reading this edition of the trilogy. (I only have The Fellowship pictured here, the other books look nearly identical.) I found this set in a used book store, and it is from 1965, is the US second edition, and the 6th printing. You can kind of see some of my Halloween decorations in these pictures, which is a future post I am very excited about!


So that marks the beginning of another journey! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a long expected party to attend.

Buh Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment