Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Never Apologize for Having a Naked Face


Hello!
I've been working a lot of extra hours at the office lately, and on slow days I tend to watch/read old posts of beauty bloggers, or fashion bloggers. Its wonderful, my boss really doesn't care what I do as long as I answer the phone straight away when it rings! 
Something I've noticed lately, is that whenever a beauty blogger does a make-up tutorial, or happens to post a picture of themselves sans-makeup, usually they apologize. Apologize? Yes, they'll say something just innocently off hand like "Sorry for the lack of makeup" or "Please excuse my naked face", etc etc. I know its not a serious statement, and it is often said just as a passing thought without a whole lot of meaning put into it, but it started to bother me after a while. 
No one should ever have to apologize for being their natural selves. Like I said, I know this isn't a huge deal and are just passing comments, but I think it taps into an underlying issue.
Women seem to develop a belief that make-up is as essential as clothing their bodies. That, without makeup, they may actually offend someone with their face.
Your face is your face! It is you! You should never apologize for what is naturally yours and, in this case, the key thing that people recognize you by, IT'S YOUR FACE. Sorry for the caps lock! 
Why do we feel the need to apologize for something that men are expected to have every single day? You never see a man apologizing for his face, and if you did you'd probably think something like "You're apologizing for your face?! How ridiculous!" but it is something that we do all the time without even thinking. 
Your face is your face. Make-up should be a fun, beauty-enhancer, not a mask for what is your very natural state of being. 
Any ladies reading this, I encourage you to go out without make-up sometime soon, maybe just the grocery store, or a casual outing with girlfriends, and wear your face proudly! 
I'll go first- this is me sans make-up and happy as a clam!



first image via

No comments:

Post a Comment