Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Top 5 Albums

Mine and Keith's first road trip together was to Bamboozle Left in 2008.

Music is a really big part of my life. My Husband is in a Bay Area based punk band, and a lot of our years dating were spent traveling up and down California for various shows and concerts. To quote the drummer from that band (also known as Paul, one of my best friends) "Music is Magic." I couldn't agree more. There is something so inexplicably wonderful about this intangible thing, it can only be described as magic.
These are my current Top 5 albums giving me chills, and major inspiration.

1. The Flatliners - Cavalcade

This album is full of fast-paced, inspiring, straight-up punk goodness. This album was a big source of comfort to me during a particularly rough period of time in college.
"Live through, live strong. Carry on and on and on. No more false-start life at traffic lights" - Carry the Banner

2. The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past

This is one of those albums that just feels honest. With two different vocalists this album always sounds fresh, and is so much fun to sing to. Just don't get caught singing the incredibly catchy song "The Obituaries" to yourself in the wrong place. ("I will fuck this up, I fucking know it.") It has happened to me, and if they aren't familiar with the band, it will be awkward.


3. Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension

There are two songs on this album that have quickly become very near and dear to me. They made me feel understood during my decision to leave an art program I had dedicated far too much of my life to, doing something I was not passionate about. I can confidently say it was the hardest decision I've ever made, and this album helped me through it.
"I stood by everything I loved, while you never understood me much." - The Hard Sell


4. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die


This has become my go-to summer album. I was talking with my friend about this album, and we both came to the conclusion that it is almost completely un-relatable, but that doesn't take away from this particular piece. I think it adds an element of intrigue, and it just makes you want to drive down to LA on a whim.
"Now my life is sweet like Cinnamon, like the fuckin' dream I'm livin' in" -Radio


5. The Dear Hunter - Migrant

Aside from the fact that The Dear Hunter is my favorite band, this album is really sitting with me these days. The second track, "Whisper", makes me feel like I'm flying through the air every time I hear it.
The Dear Hunter as a whole is a very unique band, and Migrant is a breath-taking addition to their collection of work.
"I think that we've all made our gravest mistakes on the greatest intentions that we're too stubborn to let go. With this little time before I go, I'll open up my mouth, and scream it out, to cast my voice into the crowd." - Whisper






No comments:

Post a Comment